Saturday, February 24, 2007

Current Inspiration




I've been totally inspired by the gift membership to Pattern Review that I got for Christmas. There are people on there who can really sew! I had to take a little time to reflect what I like about sewing, I always just assumed it was the fabric!! I still haven't come up with an answer, I only know that I can't let a day slip by without sneaking into my studio even just to look around.

Here is my newest obsession, brought about by a women's vintage pink coat given me by my mom. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was just the right color for Mimi, and decided to cut it down for her. But it needs a hat all to itself. You're never too young to learn that a stocking cap (no matter how bright or stripey) is no match for a well cut winter dress coat. I found this pattern online at the Vintage Pattern Lending Library (where have they been all my life?), for a girl's cloche hat pattern from the 1920's. The pattern says it fits a 20" head, and also that it's a size 6. Well, the hat fits my daughter, who is 2. I will just let that speak for itself.

I also found this totally awesome crochet cloche on eBay, I think it's from Bow2Tow. It's also supposed to best fit an 18-24 month old, but it fits my two year old and this adult mannequin. So sizing continues to baffle, but I think the proper-hat-for-your-coat lesson is covered for now. Oh my. As I read that last sentence, there's some alarm bell going off in the back of my head. This is somehow all going to come back and haunt me, isn't it???

No comments: